Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Mirena - Background

Warning this is TMI...

The past year I have had horrible periods. I am not talking about the cramps, the bloating, the general moodiness, yes I have that but Midol, chocoloate and long naps usually helped with those problem. My problem has been heavy bleeding, so heavy I was using Ultra Tampon and a Overnight Maxi and having to change every 45 minutes and at times I still managed to have bleed thru on my clothes. You can just imagine how many times I had to change my sheets, mattress pad etc for 7 days. It has been awful. My ob found some fibroids and a little smaller than an egg decided to go into my uterine lining and cause havoc every 21 days with my life. The week of the cycle was bad, but because of the blood loss it would take 2 weeks for me to feel normal again and just when I was getting my groove back BAM Aunt Flo that bitch would show up again. I was prescribed the pill and it did nothing for me probably because I hate taking any kind of medication and usually forgot to take it. So after putting up with this I decided I would make an appointment to have an ablation. This was a hard decision to come by because even though I am single, 42, have an almost 8 yr old child and not in a relationship. I still desire to have another child. I still WANT another child. I still want to experience the whole pregnancy again. Yeah call me crazy, but since the cycles were causing so much problem with my life I decided that desire was not worth sacrificing my quality of life in the hear and now. So had my mind set, ready for the procedure. The downtime was about 3-4 days and knew Diva is independent enough to handle that. She had been doing it anyway. I get to my doctor's office find out I am not a candidate for the ablation. My fibroids are too big and too far in my uterine lining to get the results I want. My mind is spinning thinking I am going to have to get a hysterectomy. I still have my wisdom teeth. I can't imagine giving up my uterus. My ob/gyn Dr. Ramana Jones @ Dallas Medical Center is just wonderful and is not the type of doctor who really works with her patients know I really have no desire for a hysterectomy and suggests the Mirena IUD. So I get it and today is the 2nd day of my period on it. It is our hope that my cycles are not as severe with it in and over time they will decrease...
Let's see

1 comment:

E said...

I hope it works out well for you.
{hugs}